How To Apply For Your Marriage License in WA

You Must Apply For Your Marriage License in Person

  • Sign Your Marriage License to Make Your Wedding Ceremony OfficialBoth parties go to any one of our sites (list below),bring photo ID and pay the $64 fee (cash only at downtown Seattle; cash or checks at other sites; no debit or credit cards), and complete the application. The license will be issued at that time but does not become valid until a three-day waiting period has expired.
  • NOT required to apply: witnesses, blood tests, birth certificates, or divorce papers (divorce must be final and filed).
  • King County marriage licenses can be acquired at eight locations throughout King County. Some of these locations are open late. Click on a site, below, to obtain its schedule, phone number, address, and driving directions.

Apply by Mail

  • Download the King County Marriage License Application (PDF)
  • Both male and female affidavits must be completed (using current, full, legal names), signed and notarized, and the original document sent to King County Marriage Licensing.
  • Send completed and notarized applications, along with a $67 money order or cashier’s check payable to King County Marriage License. No cash or personal checks. Mail to the Seattle/Downtown Licensing Office:

King County Marriage License
King County Administration Building
500 – 4th Avenue, Room 311
Seattle, WA 98104

  • If an application is mailed, the marriage license must be picked up at our downtown Seattle office; it will not be mailed. Office hours: Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m., except holidays.
  • We recommend calling the Seattle office to verify receipt of the application: 206-296-4021, or if calling long distance,1-800-325-6165, and ask to be transferred to the marriage license desk.

Marriage License Fee

  • The marriage license fee is $67.00. Payment is by cash only at the downtown Seattle office; cash or local check with local identification at the other sites. No debit or credit cards. Please check the King County website to verify any changes in fees.
Payday loans at - this type of a bad credit loan is secured by the title of a vehicle the applicant owns.

Washington Marriage Applicant Requirements | Prohibited Marriages

  • An unmarried male and an unmarried female.
  • Both parties must be at least 18 years of age or can meet the age requirements, as listed below.
  • The parties are not nearer of kin to each other than second cousins, whole or half blood.
  • A marriage between two persons that is valid in another jurisdiction is valid in this state if the marriage is not prohibited by Washington State law.

Age Requirements

Applicants must be 18 years of age or older.

17-year Old Applicants

  • Seventeen year-old parties can only apply if one of the following conditions is met:
    • A parent or the legal guardian submits a notarized statement of consent (the form can be obtained at any of our marriage license locations). OR
    • The applicant is legally emancipated and takes the court-certified copy of the emancipation document with them to apply.

Under Age 17

  • Parties under age 17 can apply only when the age requirement is waived by a superior court judge of the county in which one of the parties resides. Each party to the marriage, who is under 17 years of age, must present a waiver specifically naming them.
  • King County residents should call King County Superior Court, Family Court Section, (206) 296-9390.

Divorced Applicants

  • No need to take divorce papers when applying for a marriage license.
  • A divorce must be final and filed before one can apply for a marriage license. For example, if a divorce is granted and the paperwork filed on a Tuesday, the couple must wait until Wednesday to file an application.
  • Under no circumstances may a person apply for a marriage license before they are divorced.

Residency and Citizenship Requirements

  • Marriage license applicants do not have to reside in Washington State.
  • A marriage license purchased from any county in Washington State can be used to get married anywhere in Washington State.
    • Applicants do not have to apply for their marriage license in the county in which they reside.
    • Applicants do not have to apply for their marriage license in the county where the wedding ceremony will take place.
  • A marriage license purchased in Washington State can not be used to get married in another state or country.
  • Applicants are not required to have a U.S. Social Security number in order to obtain a marriage license. However, one of the marriage license forms requires the inclusion of one’s Social Security number OR the applicant’s signature on a declaration that they do not have a U.S. Social Security number. This will not impair the couple’s ability to receive their marriage license.

Single Status/No Impediment Forms

  • Washington State does not require the presentation of a ‘single status’ or ‘no impediment’ form.
  • Should you be getting married in a location that requires a single status or no impediment form, you can request a search by the King County Recorder’s Office for marriage records with your name. You will receive a document stating your name was not found in King County Records for the period of time you have searched. You could also check with the State of Washington Vital Statistics for a search of State-recorded marriage certificates.

Getting Married in Another State or Country

  • A King County/Washington State marriage license is not valid to get married outside of Washington State.
  • If you plan to marry in another state or country, you will need to apply for its marriage license and comply with their laws for getting married.
  • In order for your marriage to be recognized in Washington State as a lawful union, you must be married according to the laws governing the location at which you were married, including the completion and filing of permanent marriage records, and it cannot fall within the prohibited marriages listed in the Revised Code of Washington.
  • Obtaining certified copies of the permanent marriage record, including certified translation into English, if necessary, will prove that you were lawfully married in that location. You can, but are not required to, record that document, as a safeguard against loss, with King County Records.


This information is from the King County Office and can be verified by clicking here.