How to: Get a Certified Copy of Marriage Record

Why You Obtain A Certified Copy of Your Marriage Certificate

Once you have legally changed your name you may need your certified Marriage Certificate to update things like your banking account, utility accounts, etc.

You will need a certified copy of your marriage certificate if you choose to change your name once you are married.

Where Do You Obtain Certified Copies of Your Marriage Records

Marriage certificates of licenses purchased from King County are maintained by the King County Recorder’s Office. Marriage certificates from 1947-present are filed in the county where the license was purchased.

You Can Order Your Certified Copies in Person

Bring the correct fees ($3.00 per certified copy) by cash, check or money order:

King County Recorder’s Office in downtown Seattle
King County Administration Building
500 4th Avenue, Room 311
Seattle, WA 98104

Monday – Friday 8:30am – 4:30pm

You Can Order A Notarized Copy of Your Marriage Records by Mail

Please fill out our Copy Request Form (PDF) and mail with correct fees ($3.00 per certified copy) by check or money order to:

King County Marriage Records
King County Administration Building
500 4th Avenue, Room 311
Seattle, WA 98104

Additional Information Regarding Your Marriage Records

  • Certified copies should be available approximately 10 business days from the date the marriage record is returned to King County. To confirm availability call (206) 296-1844.
  • If you need certified copies immediately following your ceremony, return the Health Certificate of Marriage to the Marriage License Desk, Room 311 of the King County Administration Building, 5th & James, in downtown Seattle. Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m., except holidays.
  • If you were married elsewhere according to the local laws and your license was duly recorded, obtain certified copies of your marriage license from the local registrar of the governing body where you were married, including a certified translation into English, if your license is in another language. You can record that document with the King County Recorder’s Office but you are not required to do so.
  • Statewide marriage certificates from 1968 to present are also available from the Washington State Center for Health Statistics (external link).
  • If you have any trouble locating marriage records, including older and other types of marriage records, please contact the King County Archives.

Marriage Records Are Part of Public Records In Washington State

  • Marriage records are part of public record, with one major exception. Program participants of the State’s Address Confidentiality Program may have their marriage records excluded from the public filing. Only active participants are included, and they must apply for their marriage license at our downtown Seattle office. If the marriage license was obtained prior to becoming an active participant, the record cannot be “unrecorded”.
  • Newspapers in King County do not print lists of marriage license applications. Couples may pay a newspaper to print an announcement.

Obtaining An Apostille Certificate for a Marriage Record

Apostille certificates are issued by a state government only for documents which have been signed by a government official of that same state. For complete information on obtaining an apostille for your recorded Washington State Marriage Certificate, visit the Washington Secretary of State’s website.

Click here to look for updates to this information.